When making my goals list in early January, I wrote down that I wanted to try at least one new recipe every week as long as I am in my current flat. And guess who has actually been succesful?! That’s right, you are reading the words of a master chef. Ok, that might be a bit (read: a lot) of an overstatement, but still…I’m doing better than my usual beans in a can meal. I have a somewhat unhealthy addiction to pinterest, but one good thing to come from these hours of trolling others’ pins is the plethora of recipes I’ve accumulated, and I now have the kitchen to create
culinary masterpieces sub-par copycats.
Actually, I think I’ve done pretty well for myself! I recently attempted to make some spinach ricotta stuffed chicken and let me tell you…it’s my new favorite. Since everything in New Zealand is expensive (especially when it comes to fresh food and dairy) I made some amendments to the recipe. You can find the original recipe here, but I will share with you my variation. Bon appetite! 🙂
Spinach Stuffed Chicken
1 Tbsp butter
1 small onion-finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves-minced
dried basil and parsley (or any other herbs you think would go well)
just over 1 C cheese-I used mild and edam cheeses
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp salt
2 chicken breasts (the recipe says this is for 6 chicken breasts, but I like to seriously stuff these bad boys)
1.Preheat oven to 190*C
2. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened (about 3-5 mins)
3. Add spinach, basil and parsley and cook (stirring) until spinach wilts and moisture evaporates (about 2 mins). Let cool completely.
4. Mix in cheese, egg yolk, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
5. Create pocket in chicken by cutting the breast almost all the way in half
6. Stuff spinach mix into it, cover with meat and tuck it in if you can (I usually can’t, and it works out fiiiine)
7. Place on foil lined pan, brush with butter. Bake about 35 mins or until golden and juice runs clear.